Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bang Bang Bang/Week 4

Stats:
Weight: 274lbs
Boxes of Wheat Thins Killed: Three (The last one was over the course of three days so that's PROGRESS)
Miles Ran in 2012: 52.6

You ever see the movie "Friday"? It has a great scene in it with Ice Cube and John Witherspoon. The scene revolves around how John Witherspoon's character (A dog catcher)loves to treat dogs. A very memorable line comes their exchange.  "I grab a dog, and I choke him, and I kick the shit out of him. All day long, my foot up a dog's ass. Just bang-bang-bang up his ass. That's my pleasure." Now look I'm no proponent of animal cruelty, I love my dog Spunky the narcoleptic wonder pug, but Wednesday while running outside for the first time in weeks I thought about punting a yappy little Yorkshire Terrier. Picture this: Me running along, one mile into my short  run. I'm jamming out to Earth, Wind and Fire the song "Shining Star" to be precise. The wind is cool and crisp and the streets are quiet. All of a sudden I hear a bark (destroying my serenity)and then I feel a tug at my leg. This little shit has got me by the pants leg and is allowing me to drag it along with me. First thought in my mind is of the aforementioned dog catcher. I look around for an owner before I punt this dog 50 yards, luckily for the terrier his owner wasn't too far behind. The owner apologizes and I continue to finish my  two mile run in a dismal 21 minutes. Apparently the dog had been after me for a few houses. So I learned two things from this experience...it's hard out there on the streets and turn down my headphones when running outside.
The rest of the week was pretty uneventful.  My work pants fell off, I lost another pound, ate some stuff I really shouldn't have and read a running book. Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide: Advice, Plans, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons. It's a great book from one of the contributing editors of Runners World he is also one of the founding  members of the Road Runners Club of America. I would suggest it to anyone who wants to learn more about the sport. After I do the half in April I plan on using his full plan to move up to the real deal. Through this training I have started to think this really might be my sport. As I mentioned before I've played other sports, but they never made me feel this good. If I can stay healthy this just might be something I can do for the rest of my life. I love it. Just think, when I played those other sports I viewed running as a punishment. I had it all wrong. Running was really the best part.  If  only my knees believed it. Ice Ice baby.




No comments:

Post a Comment