Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Marathon

Stats:
Marathons ran - 1
Days of recovery before running after said marathon - 7
Weight - 262 lbs (yep time off = weight gain)
Miles ran this year - 396.9
Money raised for charity - $772.00 (Blew away my goal)

So yeah I ran a marathon. I completed one of my goals. Why do I now feel so damn blah? It's not like I don't have goals left to accomplish. I mean I have some 5ks to run and a half marathon or two to complete still this year, but I honestly don't have all that much gumption left. The moment I crossed that finish line was so awesome! It felt like my wedding day, my daughters adoption day it was just such a great rush of emotions. I fear I might never feel something quite like that. I wish I knew what to do.

Brief race recap: It was a beautiful day! No rain! Great crowd and a great course except for all the damn hills. They claim its a flat course I just don't see it! I ran way too fast for the first 12 miles (11:00 pace). I was supposed to be running a 12:00 pace. I paid for it around mile 15 and started cramping all over the place.  I stopped and text messaged my coach Laurie, she advised slow down and drink and GU it up. It worked and I continued with minor cramping for the remainder of the run. Honestly the run was not horrible it was hard but not half as bad as I thought it would be. I guess that's why you do all that training. Anyway, along the way I saw some cool stuff. Beautiful architecture abound in some areas of the course and some of the signs along the way were absolutely hilarious. Specifically the one that read "You can't quit, you're not the pope" as a Catholic I couldn't help but crack up. The finish in the stadium was super awesome. As I ran into the stadium I heard one of my reasons for running my little cousin Joi announcing my entrance. That was absolutely awesome! It was so great to have and hear all my family and friends cheer me on.

The aftermath: I had a asthma attack in the car, but had my nebulizer handy. My knees still feel wonky and I now have 3 new black toe nails! My shoes are dead as well. They couldn't handle another mile if their life depended on it. I'm also kinda depressed for some odd reason.

Thank yous: I couldn't have done this without my beautiful wife supporting me through out the last four months. She praised me when I needed it and kicked me in the ass when I didn't feel like running. She dealt with being a runners widow like a champ and never once got pissed at me for being gone so long. I also thank Lou Lou my coach and Barb my naughty teacher and giver of the GU. I also thank all those who donated to my cause.








No comments:

Post a Comment