Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oceans Eleven.....miles that is.

Stats:
Weight: 256 lbs
Days on a food binge: 10

I ran 11 miles this past Sunday! Another personal record on my way to 13.1. I woke up extra early with hopes of beating the rain. Thirty minutes into the run my dreams of a perfect day were ruined. Thunder claps boomed around me and the skies opened up, rain drops were falling on my head, slowly at first but then a raging crescendo of storm was unleashed upon me. I was three miles from home and the wind was gusting at 20 to 30 mph. With nowhere to hide and no friends houses nearby I did what any sane person would do. I put my head down and took that bastard on. I would not be defeated by any damn storm. After 20 minutes the storm subsided or maybe I just out ran it. The aftermath was not something I was ready to deal with. You see I have been avoiding running in rain all year. I have even gone so far as running my long run on the treadmill to escape the wet nasty grip of rain. My coach, Laurie has been on my ass since the beginning of the year to go out and run in the elements regardless of how bad they may look because "you have to run in the rain to enjoy the sunshine." Sometimes I can't stand that little sprite, but I have to admit it she was on the money this time. At mile five when the rain stopped I was greeted by glorious sunshine and soaking wet socks. Socks that rubbed my feet the wrong way for the entire remainder of the run until I got two blisters on the top of my feet. Those blisters have been a pain in my ass all week, as a matter of fact I even skipped a run because of them. Oh well you live and you learn. The main thing I took from this whole experience is that weather is not necessarily a enemy. The wind is a terrible d-bag when  running into it but on the way back it's like that old friend who you drink pints with. I also have to admit that yes you do have to have bad times to really totally appreciate the good times. When I ran on Wednesday in the nice sun with low wind it felt so much better than usual.

My dinner plate


Okay guys I have been consistently losing weight despite myself. Since Easter Sunday I have completely fell off the wagon. I knew it would happen eventually and overindulging on Easter definitely helped set it off.I have eaten multiple boxes of Rasinets, Wheat Thins, half a dozen donuts, two bags of pop corn, a shitload of candy bars, at least 10-15 small bags of chips. There's more too! I'm not even listing all the burgers and fries, barbeque  and fried chicken. Yet I am still losing weight (down 24 lbs for the year) . Apparently my metabolism is back to where it used to be. All these long runs and weightlifting are finally starting to take effect. Yesterday I tried to get this whole thing back on track by eating somewhat good. I had mostly fruit and cereal, no pop (which I was consuming by the liter) and actually had a small dinner. So let's see what happens. Next week is my half marathon plus I have two 5ks coming up so that should keep my mind off of food for awhile. Peace out.

The Slow Fat Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment