Sunday, April 8, 2012

Second 10 miler, Fast 5k

Stats:

Weight: 259 lbs
Mileage for 2012: 236.8
Pounds of honey baked ham consumed: 1 very delicious pound


First and foremost happy Easter every one!Not only a celebration of Jesus' Resurrection but a reason for the slow fat runner to throw out all the rules and eat until I can't eat anymore.


Last week I ran my first 5k of the year. Finished with a time of 27:10, which isn't a personal record but still is pretty good considering my pr is 26:45 and I now weigh 45 pounds more than then. One friend can be quoted as saying I looked like a gazelle as I ran the course. Now never in my life have I been compared to anything other than a turtle or perhaps on a good day a charging bull, but apparently that day I was really moving. It was cold which I love because it's actually easier for me to breathe when the humidity is low and the temps are between 30 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Pair that with the excitement of running the first race of the year and you have the makings of a 8th place finish in my age range. Something that is truly shocking to me. Granted numbers 1-3 finished in 21 minutes but hey it's still fills  feels good. I have completed my half marathon training and  have now went into maintenance mode. I'm running the same schedule as the last week of training only I'm trying to run a little more every day for example instead of 5 miles on Tuesday and Thursday I'm targeting 5.5 to 6 on those days. I ran my second 10 miler today, but I think I'm gonna move up next week and try the full 13.1. I was able to run all 10 miles at a consistent 6 mile per hour pace. Compared to the one I ran two weeks ago that I ran at a erratic at times 11:17 pace. I'm 20 days out from the half marathon it's about time I put these legs to the test. I'm really quite curious about the distance and am tired of waiting to run the race so I might as well just go ahead and bust it out. Right?

I have now been running consistently for over 90 days. I am a runner. I am a work in progress. I am getting stronger with every workout. I am able to pace myself. I am addicted to the runners high. I hate getting the runners high at mile two and not feeling it again for the rest of the damn run. I love people realizing my changing physique took actual work, it didn't come from a pill or some fad diet. No it is actually happening because I am putting one foot in front of the other time and time again. That's it folks. I love my readers and I love my new friends I've met through running. Please leave comments and follow my adventures as I move towards my half marathon and beyond to my first full.


THE SLOW FAT RUNNER

No comments:

Post a Comment